Friday, February 24

Cold Bug

Even when he's sick, he's still such a sweetie.
Charlie is sick. I'm not sure what he has, but it is typical for this time of year. He has the saddest cough and is congested with boogs. Thankfully, no fever yet. Even though he isn't feeling well, he has been a real trooper.

We have had the best week together. I went grocery shopping with him and to my terror, he woke up right when we walked in the door. BUT, to my delight, he didn't cry or fuss the entire time! He just looked around, sucked his fingers and smiled at strangers.

I'm in the process of trying to start a routine for him, now that he is getting older (super sad face). We wake up between 6 and 8 - depending how much sleep we got the night before. Then we play together for a bit while he works out some poops, followed by some tummy time. I still think I'm doing something wrong with the tummy time because he hates it and isn't interested in the "baby push up's" like his development chart says he should be. Maybe he's just not there yet. Anyway, then it's time to eat. Right now he only eats about 4-5 ounces each feeding, and less if he's breast feeding. I'm trying not to fret too much, but I do feel a bit inept with my current supply. I'm lucky to get 3 oz. from both boobs, and that's only if he hasn't eaten and I haven't pumped for 4 or more hours. I pump on a consistent schedule of every three hours which you would think would increase my supply...but nay.

Anyway, after he's fed, he takes a quick nap while I work on stuff. Since I'm working from home during the week, this is the perfect time to catch up on emails and get some breakfast. When Charlie wakes up, we play some more. Diaper change. Eat. Then he swings for a while while I do some chores. I even made a weekly chore chart to make things easier and more manageable. Then a quick diaper change, some play time, another feeding and another nap. So far, I haven't had a chance to do this next part, but eventually I hope to incorporate it into my plan: Time to get dinner started. Then Charlie is up after dinner, gets to hang out with dad, and gets his bath. The hope here being he sleeps soundly through the night.

The last couple of nights, though, Charlie has been sick. It breaks my heart to hear his fragile little longs rasping. He coughs to the point it makes him gag, so if he's just eaten, he's likely to spit up. So for now, I have him sleeping in his swing and night as he's less likely to choke. I k ow I'm being a worry wart and probably overly cautious, but A) I'm a new mom and B) I just lost a baby which I never thought would happen to me.

I'm going to call his pediatrician today - which of course I will preface with "I know there's probably nothing I can do right now, but..." - just to see if she needs to see him. Better safe than sorry. I just hope it starts to get better before it gets worse. Even though he is being brave, I hate to see him sick.

In other news, it seems he has stopped scratching his face! I'm glad, because he has outgrown most of his Jammie's with the hand covers.

Speaking of growing, I used the very last newborn size diaper on his buns last week. It was a sad day. I probably would've kept it if it wasn't full of green poop.

So, my baby boy is growing. And fast. I'm doing my best to cherish the moments because I'm fully aware of how quickly he's changing.

No comments: