Thursday, November 10

8 Days

I've been living the reality of what it feels like to have that dream where you're naked and you can't seem to find the sense to put any clothes on because you're too frozen with fear to do anything.

Yes friends, it is now 8 days until I'll be holding these little ones - but no longer in my belly. I've had my hospital bag packed and ready to go for about a week now. I looked at a lot of suggestions but in the end decided to keep it pretty simple. I have some trial size toiletries, a couple different loose fitting jammie type things and all the paperwork I'll need such as my disability insurance claim form, the pre-authorization from the insurance company and insurance info. The hospital probably already has most if not all of this on file, but better safe than sorry.

I"ve been working from home for the last week and I have to say - it's awesome. I'm so thankful my employer was able to work with me and allow me to do things from home. It will help financially for sure.

I joined Sam's Club on Monday. I bought my first pack of diapers and wipes. I've always heard they were expensive. But crap. Diapers are expensive. Wipes aren't exactly cheap, either.

I've been able to keep most of my regular routine up but it is definitely harder (even more so) to sleep well. Peeing, tossing, turning, aching, etc. Lot's of that. My belly is out again - the shrinking thing has all but disappeared. I'm short of breath much of the time and heartburn is rottenly constant. The doctor told me last night I still have "a little more room to grow" - I wanted to punch him. There is no more room, sir.

Speaking of the doctor, we had another appointment last night. Baby still hasn't turned, so it appears surgery is the way we'll go. I've come to accept the fact and although I still don't find it ideal, I just want these babies outta here in the healthiest way possible. He expects them to be about 5 pounds each which is small, but average for twins. He also said he saw breathing movements on the ultrasound which shows their lungs are developed enough they shouldn't have complications once born and hopefully -fingers and toes crossed - won't have any time in the NICU. Since I'll be having a c-section, I will probably be in the hospital for 3 days intead of 2. That means we won't be going home until Sunday evening or Monday morning - I'm not sure what they count as a "day". Thankfully, Kevin will get to stay home with me for nearly two whole weeks! It's going to be nice having him home and bonding with our babies. Once he goes back to work, my mom is going to come help out for a week or two. I can't even explain how thankful I am to have this help; I know I'm going to need it!

My favorite thing at the moment is to be somewhere and have someone ask when I'm due. I tell them, "next Friday" and they suddenly act like I'm a nuclear warhead about to explode at any second. Speaking of exploding things, I went to Babies 'R Us yesterday to scope out some of their stuff and noticed some "spots" on parts of their carpetting. I should have taken a picture, but I didn't. However, I'm pretty sure those spots were places where waters had broken and birth processes had begun. Then I thought about how awesome it is that I'm not working the week before I'm scheduled to deliver: I'm so glad I don't have to worry about my water breaking in the office! I'm sure they are, too.

Yesterday, I received my invitation to my baby shower. My mother-in-law drew and painted the birds. She is so talented! I love the little hats. My sister-in-law has been working tirelessly to make this a spectacular event. I don't know much as it is supposed to be a surprise, but I know her and I know it's going to be awesome. I didn't post the back because, well, it has addresses and such things which are probably not good things to post on the Internets, but trust me - the back is just as cute as the front.

My parents came to visit over the weekend. They showed up with a huge box full of clothes, blankets and other baby stuff. My mom works with another twin mom who recently had boy/girl twins and she was generous enough to donate some of her stuff to us. We had so much fun going through the box and seeing all the cute tiny things (thanks, Nicole!).

We have been so blessed throughout this pregnancy. It's made me realize just how many people we have in our lives that love us and how lucky we are to be adding to our family. It's reaffirmed that things really do happen for a reason and taught me even more lessons about patience (though I know I still have much to learn there). I can honestly say I had lost some of the hope that this day would ever come, yet here we are.

1 comment:

The Lane Family said...

My sister works with your mom and I know that the time is quickly approaching. I have twin girls and I would send you stuff but as they have grown up I have just gotten rid of things.

Yes, diapers and wipes are expensive but they are all worth it when you get to snuggle with those precious babies!!!

Good luck!!