Wednesday, July 27

Worry Wart

It has been a strange week. I feel like a lot of the things I’ve been feeling and experiencing are reverting back to previous weeks. For example, I’ve started having irrational fears about something happening to the babies. I was petrified by “what if’s” prior to my appointment yesterday. Kevin and I went out last weekend where a lot of people were smoking. Even though it was in the open and I know it wasn’t a big deal, I couldn’t help but wonder if it was stunting their growth or affecting them in some way. Or, maybe not now, but what if that day they were developing their brain power and now they’ll be shorted later in life?
I haven’t had to take any medication for over 3 weeks. It has been so nice not to feel sick ALL the time! Sometimes I still have a little nausea after I eat breakfast, but it usually goes away with my next snack. But, last night, I was gagging and dry heaving again. I took one of those magic pills and voila: Sickness was gone. However, since I haven’t taken them in so long, I forgot how sleepy they make me. By 8:00, I could barely keep my eyes open.
Sleeping has become less than comfortable. I’ve been doing my best to sleep on my left side, as recommended. This is usually fine until I have to get up around 1:00 to pee, then when I go back to bed, I would rather lie on my back. But I know I’m not supposed to lie on my back, so I settle for the right side instead. But then, my body rolls into Kevin’s body and my head stays on my pillow, so then I wake up with a huge headache because my position is all out of wack.  The pillow between the legs has helped some. It definitely makes side sleeping easier. I used to be a stomach sleeper which isn’t good for anything, so maybe this will force me to learn to sleep a different way.
The babies are very active now. Usually I can feel them kicking, punching, flipping and spinning a few minutes after I eat and before bed. Baby A is much more active than Baby B. Many of the movements now feel like what you’d expect a drop of water running down the side of a glass to feel like. Sometimes it’s tickly, other times it’s like a big gas bubble moving around in your belly, like you’ll have explosive diarrhea in about 5 minutes. There are a lot of different kinds of movements and feelings, but they are all very cool.
Yesterday, I took my youngest step-daughter, Emilee, to my appointment. She got to see the babies on the ultrasound and see their tiny little hearts beating. Baby B looked as though he was trying to suck his thumb but just couldn’t quite get it. The doc said he doesn’t think babies REALLY suck their thumb in utero because they don’t really do it when they are first born. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but either way, it looked cute. Both of them measured right on track, exactly 21 weeks. Baby A has his head down right now (right on top of my bladder, might I add) which is good news. We hope it stays that way so we’ll have a good chance at a vaginal birth instead of having to do a c-section.  I asked Emilee what she thought of the babies and she said, “Aliens”. I laughed, because that’s what I said, too!
I also had my second pregnancy-related wardrobe malfunction yesterday. My first pregnancy-related wardrobe malfunction was a few weeks ago. I decided to wear a skirt without any stretch to it at all. First mistake. I had to hike it above it my belly so I could get it zipped up all the way. Second mistake. I wore a shirt that wasn’t very long so as to accent my cute belly. Third mistake. I went out to lunch that day and as soon as I sat down to eat, I heard the dreaded “RRRRRIP” sound tear through the back of my skirt. I knew immediately I had a huge, gaping hole and there wasn’t much I could do about it. The bathroom was too far away for me to run to. The door to leave was too far away to exit without being seen. So, I ate my lunch and pondered what I was going to do. I ended up pulling my skirt up as much as I could and looked like I was walking around in a tiny little mini skirt (so not flattering) and casually walked out the door and to my car. Then I had to call my boss and tell her I was headed home to change. She laughed. I probably would have, too, if it wasn’t me.
 Since the first mishap, I’ve learned my lesson about wearing tight clothing. I generally wear stretchy skirts or flowy dresses now in lieu of pants just to be safe. Since I have to pee EVERY 10 minutes now, I am in the bathroom a lot. Yesterday was no exception. Near the end of the day, I was able to get the bathroom stall door closed just before I felt I was going to pee all over. I hurried and haphazardly threw the seat cover on and plopped down to relieve myself. But, just as I was finishing, I realized I was in too much of a hurry and had PEED ALL OVER MY SKIRT. Yep, that’s right. Little miss pee pee pants now had a urine-soaked spot on the back of her britches. I soaked most of it of using the toilet paper method and was thankful it was black so it wasn’t as noticeable. But it was close enough to the end of the day that I couldn’t leave work to change. So I had to wait. So gross.
I think I might have to start wearing adult diapers soon. Maybe I could get a discount if I buy them with the babies' diapers?

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Sorry I had to chuckle at your pee skirt. I had a similar mishap but thank God I was running and errand and could slyly go home. There is definitely a maneuver to quickly getting clothes out the way. I haven't mastered it yet either =p