Wednesday, July 20

50% Complete!

Today is officially “halfway”. Although I think since I’m having twins, I hit halfway a couple of weeks ago. Still, it’s a big day!
This is the picture that came up when I Googled "50%". I guess it's a good
image to reflect my pregnancy is halfway over.
Some days I feel my belly is going to pop right out of my skin. It seems enormous! But then other days, like today, it doesn’t feel big at all. Just a little gassy, perhaps. I’m sure there’s a lot of variables that go into it. For example, when I wake up in the morning and weigh myself, I always weigh less than when I weigh myself in the afternoon or at night (or at the doctor’s office, for that matter). So I’m sure with water retention, food, water, etc it just builds up during the day. Not that it’s a big deal. I guess I just notice it.
The last two days, I have really struggled to keep my energy up. I am more tired now than I’ve been at all during the pregnancy so far. I’m sure some of it is the heat, but there are times at work I just can’t seem to keep my eyes open and head upright.
The babies are kicking a lot harder now. Every time I have to get up from laying down, one of them jabs me pretty good. Now that I’m 20 weeks, they’ll be measured from head to toe instead of head to rump. So normal baby size would be about the length of a banana.
I wonder if they are both that big now, or if they’re a little smaller since there isn’t as much room? At our appointment last week, the doc measured their heads and they were both exactly 19 weeks (which was on track, since that was last week).also took my preliminary gestational diabetes test. They had me drink the orange stuff which wasn’t that bad, then drew my blood while I was waiting to see the doc. He said he wants to test again in a few weeks, maybe next month. He also said if I didn’t hear anything, no news was good news. I still haven’t heard anything, so I’m really hoping my numbers were ok and I’m still in the clear. Who has two thumbs and doesn’t want diabetes? This guy.
I signed up for a couple of classes at the hospital where I’ll be delivering. I’m still not sure how long this pregnancy will go, so I scheduled them both for early in my third trimester. One of them is a breastfeeding class and the other is a labor class. I never realized breastfeeding was such a “task” until I got pregnant. I thought it was just as simple as deciding whether or not you wanted to. If you decided you want to, you’d just plop the boob in the mouth and nature would do the rest. I had no idea there were classes and practice and potential inverted nipples and all those kinds of obstacles. Hopefully I don’t have a problem, because I definitely want to throw down some breast milk with these babies. We’ll probably use a combo of formula and breast milk. I have heard of this thing called “nipple confusion” that can happen when you use bottles and boob, but quite frankly, these babies are just going to have to be flexible because there will more than probably be times when mommas knockers just aren’t available.

No comments: