Monday, October 31

NST Crap

As I mentioned, the doctor has advised me to start having NST (non-stress test) scans weekly. I had my first one Friday night after work.

I told Kevin there was no reason for him to go, it should just be a quick in and out deal and I should be home within an hour so. If only I had fortune telling powers!

I showed up at 6:00 with the script from the doctor. All the nurses were busy, but eventually someone asked me what I needed. I had an appointment, so I gave them my name and insurance info and filled out some quick paperwork, then one of them told me they'd get me to a room shortly. She had a very concerned look on her face and asked if I was doing ok, did I need anything...I told her I was fine. Then she looked confused. She asked me why I was there, and I told her my doctor had asked me to start having these scans so here I am. She saw I was having twins and said that must be why he ordered the scan, but was thrown off a bit by my comfortableness because most women that come in to Labor and Delivery can barely speak or are in mucho pain. But not me!

Eventually, she took me back to one of the rooms and had me strip down and put on a flexy brown belly cover which would hold the monitors in place. I was alone for about 15 minutes while I waited for her to come back. When she finally did come back, she had a heck of a time trying to find the heartbeats. I wasn't concerned; I knew they were there, she just wasn't looking in the right spots. I didn't want to be a PIA patient, so I just patiently laid there while she tried to find them. Eventually she did. But they moved. So she had to find them again. And again. And again. After 5 tries, she finally found them and was able to keep them.

She told me to lie still and relax for about 30 minutes and that she'd be back to review the results with me. 30 minutes came and went. All of a sudden, the machine started shouting this really loud beeping sound. It would NOT shut UP. I thought for sure it was to let the nurses know my time was up. But no one came. I was there for over an hour, lying there listening to this horrible beeping thing, unable to get up due to all the monitors and attachments on me. The nurse call thing was not hooked up so I couldn't call a nurse. FINALLY after an hour and 15 minutes, someone came in. She said, "sorry about the beeping" and started looking at the monitor behind me. She asked me if I'd been feeling "all those contractions" to which I told her yes, I've been having them all week and I told my doctor about them but he didn't seem concerned. She asked if I'd been "checked" recently (which meant had the doctor checked my cervix) and I told her no I'd never been checked. So now she had to call the doctor on call to see what they wanted her to do. Again, I'm alone for another 20 minutes. When she finally came back, she said the doctor wanted me to have a shot of something to slow the contractions because they were so frequent. The side effects of the medication were unpleasant to say the least. My heart was racing, my entire body was shaking and shivering and I couldn't focus. I found it ironic the medication was supposed to be a smooth muscle relaxer but made me feel anything but relaxed. She also "checked" me which was probably the most unpleasant part of this pregancy thus far. But it was in ship shape and there were no signs the babies were ready to come just yet.

NOT a fan!
I had to wait another 30 minutes and drink nearly 80 oz. of water while I waited this time. The nurse came back and said the contractions still hadn't slowed enough and I had to have another shot. ...just when the side effects of the first shot were starting to wear off!

Another 30 minutes and finally - peace. She told me they were calm enough that I could go home. It was now 9:30. I had to leave her with a urine sample, but lucky me - I got to carry said urine sample through the hallway to the nurses desk where she was. There were 2 sets of families in the hallway waiting for visitation who got to see my super cool yellow specimin.

I think this whole ordeal probably caused more stress than it alleviated. Even when the doctor told me to schedule these appointments, he said they weren't really "necessary" since he checks me via ultrasound at all my appointments anyway. So I think I'll ask him if I can shy away from having to do this again. Did. Not. Enjoy.

Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

Celia said...

I am so sorry that happened to you! The same thing happened to me with the beeping earlier this week. I was strapped to a million monitors, so I couldn't move. I was alone and trying to focus on breathing and the machine just kept beeping super loudly. Thankfully, I was only in the room for 30 minutes before they came to check on me. Good luck with your babies! November 18th will be here so soon!