Friday, April 8

And...Go.

So here I sit, 5 weeks pregnant. I've been reading a lot of pamphlets, blogs and websites about what's going on inside my body. I can sum it up in one word though: Miracle. In just a week, this little fella will multiply in size by more than 10,000 times. Insane! I can barely muster up the energy to make the bed on a daily basis (who am I kidding, I never make my bed).

I don't quite think reality has set in yet. It still seems so early and unreal. The only symptoms I have thus far are occassional belly cramps. Everything I've read said this is normal so I'm not too worried about it. It's a good thing because baby is growing.

I had to make a difficult decision when we found out about the pregnancy. We had a relatively large dog. Even though he was three years old, he was extremely high maintenance. I knew once this baby came, poor doggie could not be in the house for fear of wanting to "play" with new baby. It's not his fault. He just wants to be part of the family. Not only that, but he would demand much more attention than I could devote. I didn't want him to live his life all alone in the backyard. I know, I know, I'm a horrible doggie mom. Please don't make me feel worse than I already do.

Fortunately, I found a family who wanted to adopt him. They are a younger couple with 3 children. They came to our house last night and met Gomer for the first time. All the kids loved him and squeeled with joy when he would lick their hands. I'm glad he's going to a good home and will get lots and lots of attention from his new friends.

I've been drinking A LOT of water. Normally, I drink about 20 oz. or so a day (I know, how am I still alive, right?). However, I've been more aware of the need as of late and trying to get in at least 60-80 oz. now. I definitely have to potty much more often, but it's a welcome break to my sore knees from sitting all day.

I also changed my eating habits. This was not necessarily because of the pregnancy, but actually for a weight loss competition our family started a couple of weeks ago. I'm not doing anything extreme or crazy. No shots, pills or magical teas for me. I just started eating better choices more often in smaller portions. I also have been exercising more. That doesn't take much, because I've pretty much been attached to the couch all winter long. Prior to finding out I was with child, I had lost about 5 pounds. I am now at a much better weight for my height and plan to continue what I've been doing already throughout the pregnancy for both my sake and the baby's.

Still having to get nightly shots of progesterone. I will need to get those until week 10. It will be a long month.

We have a viability ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday the 19th. They should be able to tell us how many heartbeats are there. It will be good to know for certain.

I'm very happy and excited and using all my willpower not to overload Facebook with status updates. I promised myself I'm allowed one per week, MAX. And even that is pushing it. I don't want to be one of "those mom's". Of course, I think all women start out with those intentions, but by the time baby comes, the floodgates open and here come all the pictures and updates and videos. I promise I'll try not to be like that. But give me a break, it's my first kid.

1 comment:

Gina Black said...

Haha you totally need to use the term "with child" more often. Please don't be too self conscious about posting baby updates. I am definitely one who want to hear all about it!