Wednesday, September 7

The Bedroom Shuffle


Lots going on these days, friends. We had a very busy weekend full of chores, more “to-do’s”, and finally making some headway on this whole rearrange-your-life-for-the-new-babies thing.

First, let me start off saying how TOTALLY AWESOME Kevin is. I don’t know what I would do without him. He is a genius at the handyman kind of stuff. I think he could run circles around that Ty guy from Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Not only is he able to make my visions come to life, but he’s had some pretty intense patience with the pregnant version of me. So kudos to him.

Before we can start of the nursery, we get to play musical rooms. I kind of imagine the rabbit at the tea party from Alice in Wonderland as he sings, “Move down, move down, move down MOVE DOWN!” because that’s kind of what we’re in the process of doing. Angel is moving down to the basement, Emilee will be moving in to Angel’s room, and Emilee’s room will then become the nursery. Unfortunately, this leaves Riley without his own space for the next few months until he ships out for basic training.

Kevin and I have been working feverishly on getting the basement room ready for Angel so we can start the nursery hopefully this coming weekend. The room right now really doesn’t have much of a design to it at all, so it’s taken some creative brainstorming to come up with what to do. The final plan is to paint the walls a light lavender color (which we’ll hopefully have done tomorrow), make a custom headboard for the bed, install a new chandelier light fixture, and refinish and repair the existing black dresser to an off white with an antique finish. Most of these things are already done, so it’ll just be a matter of putting everything together once the room is painted. My favorite part so far is the headboard. It turned out SO AWESOME. Kevin is a genius (as I previously mentioned) and helped me come up with a great plan for the buttons. Although it was a lot of work, I think it’s going to match the room perfectly and add some much needed pizzazz to the room.
Headboard before. We had to cut the particle board at the
store so it would fit in the back of Kevin's car - hence the
fancy brackets.

Here are the leftover materials from the project.
Lots of work, as you can see.

Headboard after. It's a dark lavender satin fabric covered with
the cream lace on top. The buttons aren't attached yet, but it's
going to be freakin' sweet.

As for the nursery, we picked out our color swatches and have decided to do a dark brown on the bottom 1/3 of the room with a 5” baby blue faux chair rail and beige/cream on the top 2/3 of the walls. I found some curtains we weren’t using that match the rocker and ottoman we have and also some light green chiffon curtains, so I’m going to hem them to match the height of the window sill and hang them on the window. We purchased a new rug for the room that has all the colors: dark/light brown, tiny bits of green and tiny bits of blue. Perfect to cover up all the inevitable poop squirts from diaper changing!

Kevin finished getting the cribs all ready, so we now have two fully functional cribs that should house the babes in relative safety and comfort. We bought a couple of mattresses and some light blue and green crib sheets.

I will be meeting with the doctor again tonight (27 weeks today, yeah!) and they’ll be doing another blood glucose test. Although I’m still nervous about having Gestational Diabetes, I’m relieved that I’m in the home stretch of this pregnancy, so at least if I do have it, I won’t have it as long and it hopefully won’t affect me or the babies as much as if I’d had it earlier at 19 weeks.

I’m confident the babies are doing well. I have been feeling their kicks get progressively stronger, and I know for a fact they’re growing. Just about every gizzard and gut can attest to that. I’m hoping they’re both still in the right position like they’ve been so far.

As far as aches and pains go, I have occasional heartburn, but can usually abate it by eating dairy or, worst case scenario, a TUMS. My hips have started to hurt enough to wake me up at night. When they do, it’s too painful to sleep on my side, so I usually use my <3 Noodle Pillow <3 to hold me at an angled position so I’m not on my back, but not on my side. It’s working so far. I can’t stay on my feet for more than a couple of hours, tops. Not only does it make the swelling terrible, my feet, legs and hips just start to ache from all the added weight. My hands are constantly swollen and I’ve had to remove my wedding rings so my finger doesn’t turn purple (now I wonder if people see me and wonder if I’m a single white female whose baby daddy ran off on her).

Having said all of that, I still consider this to be an easy pregnancy so far. I’m so happy everything is going as well as it is and the babies are doing well.

No comments: